“ … And they were also distinguished for their zeal towards God, and also towards men; for they were perfectly honest and upright in all things; and they were firm in the faith of Christ, even unto the end.” - Alma 27:27

Monday, February 16, 2015

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!

Hello everybody!!!!!! Happy Chinese New Year!!!!!!! This week, the zone leaders came from Kota Kinabalu to visit us again, so I received a few letters and packages. Thank you so much for letting me know how you are all doing and for showing your love for me. I am so grateful for the best family and friends in the entire world! I also want my grandparents to know that I love them with all of my heart. I am so grateful for the people who have been so important in shaping me and my life... I am so blessed. 

I don't know where to start....so many things happened this week! I feel like yesterday was a month ago, but a week ago was just like yesterday....hard to explain haha. The first thing I would like to share is probably the most important. There is a talk called Creating Success by Elder Ballard that has become one of my favorites. I don't have time to find any quotes or paste anything today, but please read it. I promise it will be much more worth your time than my silly little letter. 

This week we wrote down a few moments when we felt true joy and success as a missionary, and then we talked about how we achieved that. Our goal for the next few weeks is to turn Tawau into a place where missionaries are excited to come to so that their attitudes will be positive and the work will continue to cruise along. We are finally seeing some successes as more people, including Chinese, come to church and are taking the steps towards baptism. I am learning that the line where we choose whether to be creatures or creators of circumstance is absolutely true. It doesn't matter where I go, who I'm with, or what language I am speaking. I can still invite others to come unto Christ if I have a good attitude, I'm obedient, and work with the Spirit. 

One of the coolest things this week was having the opportunity to visit with President L from Singapore and take him to visit a few people. While we were teaching and visiting, he shared with me that going on a mission not only helps ensure that I continue in my path towards eternal life, but I'm also protects my family for generations to come. I thought that was such an incredible thought. He shared with me that the key to finding new people to teach and baptise is in the youth. They are the ones that will grow up and be faced with the trials of the world. As we grow, have our own families/children, and raise them in the gospel, we won't need to worry about the choices that our children/grandchildren make because we can trust that we have taught them well, and we have led by example. I am so grateful that i have had this foundation, and I hope to be able to share that with others. 

At church, President and a few others from Kuching talked about self reliance and how this gospel is not simply just about reading the scriptures, coming to church, praying, etc. This gospel is about having joy in all parts of our life as we become more like the Savior and apply His teachings. As we truly come unto Christ we will be able to find success in school, work, our health, and many other things that may not initially come to mind when we consider learning about the gospel. It is a miracle that our church has so many programs to help people all around the world, and I'm excited that they are being brought to Malaysia. these people need it so much, and I'm eager to see the changes that will be made. 

Lastly, I just want to share the importance of gaining people's trust. I used to think that by asking millions of questions about people and memorizing every aspect about them would help me be their friend and get to know them, which would eventually lead to trust, honesty, and baptism. I was so wrong. I think the best way we can come closer to anybody is by truly opening our own hearts and walls. As I've tried to share more about who I am, what I enjoy, what struggles I've had, and what I'm working on, people have become more interested in what I have to say, and they've been much more willing to honestly share what they are going through as well. I would invite all of us to work harder to be honest with others about ourselves, even when it's scary. If we expect others to share how they're feeling with us, we must first be willing to put our own feelings on the table. I am so grateful for the things I am learning as a missionary that will be priceless for the rest of my life. If you have any doubts, serve a mission!!!!! It is worth it! I love you all!!!!! Happy New Year!!!!!!!!

Love, Elder Lloyd


















No comments:

Post a Comment