“ … And they were also distinguished for their zeal towards God, and also towards men; for they were perfectly honest and upright in all things; and they were firm in the faith of Christ, even unto the end.” - Alma 27:27

Sunday, October 25, 2015

DIFFERENT STAGES


Good Morning everybody! I hope that I can share a quick message with you about some experiences we had last week. I am so grateful for all the opportunities I have to help me grow, develop more faith, fulfill my purpose, and come closer to Christ. 

This past week was another wonderful week filled with many miracles. More than ever, I am grateful for the people around me. My companion, other missionaries, the members, the branch president, our investigators, the people of Malaysia--every single person is filled with a light that has helped me want to become better and do my best to represent Jesus Christ. 

Last week, while in a taxi on the way back from an appointment, I was able to sit in the front seat and talk with the driver for 30 minutes. He was in his fifties, he has four young children, and lives a very, very simple life. He was the only taxi driver that didn't try to haggle with us, so that's why we chose to get inside his car. As we drove, we talked about a few things, and I was astonished at his kind heart and good-intentioned spirit. Eventually, after talking about many wholesome things, I was able to talk to him about how important a parent-child relationship is. 

I talked with him about how my parents would tell me they loved me daily. He responded by sharing a few fond memories of him spending time with his children, but he was regretful to say that he rarely told them he loved them. I invited him to do so and I felt the Spirit strongly when he said he would. As we were getting out of the taxi, he told me he would never forget to tell his children he loved them. He offered us a discount and thanked us for talking to him. This was an incredible experience that strengthened my faith a lot. I was so grateful to talk to somebody who wasn't focused on how bad the weather, economy, government, life, etc. is. He was focused on others and helping his family. I know that there are people of every background, age, race, religion, etc that are in need of love and friendship. I pray that I can always carry the Spirit with me and be an example of the believers. I am grateful for my parents and the love that they have shared with me. I would not be here without them!

Another interesting experience I had this past week came while teaching the Plan of Salvation back-to-back. We met with one investigator accompanied by the Elders Quorum President and proceeded to help answer his questions about the origins of the Book of Mormon. As we talked about Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and their love for us, the conversation naturally took us into the Pre-Earth Life, our purpose hear, and how we can use the tools Heavenly Father has given us. 

The investigator sat there in deep, deep, almost concerned thought for most of the lesson. The best word would probably be kao lu in Chinese. He had never deeply pondered the things we were sharing, and when the Elders Quorum President bore his testimony about the direction that the gospel has given him in his life, it really touched our investigator. Our investigator then repeated back much of what we shared and asked if what we shared was true. We testified of its truthfulness in our own lives and invited him to be baptized when he knew it was true for himself. He had a hard time sharing any thoughts with us and needed some time. 

Immediately after, we went to teach a nineteen-year-old college student who I had met in my previous area with Elder G and then miraculously contacted here. He came prepared to learn. He had read the Book of Mormon, he remembered the Spirit he had felt in Sitiawan while meeting with us, and eagerly absorbed the Plan of Salvation. He had the biggest smile on his face as we talked of the Celestial Kingdom and the time that we would be able to live with our Heavenly Father again. He said absolutely to the baptism invitation, and it was one of the happiest, most spiritual, and unforgettable lessons I have been a part of. I realized that each person is in a completely different stage of life and learning. The first Plan of Salvation lesson we taught wasn't necessarily accepted with joy and excitement, but with deep thought and pondering. The second time it was accepted with hope, faith, and desire to take the next step in the Plan.

As missionaries, we are also in different stages of learning. I know that sometimes, certain experiences and lessons motivate and inspire me-literally filling me with joy. Other experiences leave me in deep thought and reflection. Either way, I know that no matter what stage we are at, there is always room for progression and change. I know that we are all on a journey of faith, repentance, making/keeping covenants, and following the promptings of the Spirit. As we make small steps towards our Heavenly Father by following Christ's example, we will notice more joy and peace in our lives. I know this is true. I know that we are cared for and watched over. I know my Heavenly Father loves me.

20 Have ye forgotten the commandments of the Lord yourGod? Yea, have ye forgotten the captivity of our fathers?Have ye forgotten the many times we have been deliveredout of the hands of our enemies?

I pray that we will never forget the many times that Heavenly Father has blessed us and supported us. I know that each experience and memory is preparing us and molding us into the people that Heavenly Father knows we can become. Press on!

Love, Elder Lloyd





No comments:

Post a Comment