“ … And they were also distinguished for their zeal towards God, and also towards men; for they were perfectly honest and upright in all things; and they were firm in the faith of Christ, even unto the end.” - Alma 27:27

Monday, June 6, 2016

THE GREATEST WORK!



What an amazing week. Firstly, thank you. Thank you for your time, your prayers, your faith, your example, your love, your consecration, and your desire to do good in the world. I am grateful for the examples you've set for me. I am so grateful for the amazing people and family who have supported me, lifted me, guided me, and loved me throughout my life (including my mission). I am so blessed! I also can't believe how fast the time flies by. I'm excited for my friends who are coming home and I pray that they will continue to grow and look for opportunities to share the gospel. Once a missionary, always a missionary. This truly is the greatest work on Earth.

This past week included some of the most wonderful, memorable, and transforming experiences of my mission. While teaching Bro T we discussed a bit about how his reading has been coming. He shared with us about how he was touched that Lehi loved his family so much that the first thought he had after tasting the fruit was to share it with them. 

He also spoke about needing to "slightly" break the commandment of observing the Sabbath to help someone in his life more fully understand the gospel of Jesus Christ and why it's becoming so important to him.  Although he had good desires, we shared with him how it's never good to disobey the Lord's commandments and go into the darkness in order to help somebody find the light. 

If we are not filled with the Spirit due to our disobedience, we will not be able to touch the hearts of those around us. Bro T is one of the most loving, innocent people I have ever met in my entire life, and he simply wants to help others. He has a strong testimony of obedience to the commandments, but he continued to make excuses about why doing this one thing would end up helping in the end. We read these scriptures with him-

Behold, I said unto them: How is it that ye do not keep the commandments of the Lord? How is it that ye will perish, because of the hardness of your hearts?

Do ye not remember the things which the Lord hath said?

They cut us all to the soul. As we shared, tears filled my eyes. There have been so many times in my life when I have rationalized about doing something that was still good, even though there was something that I could've done that was better. The Spirit not only testified to me that I needed to change, but also to this good brother. When he said, "Yes, I will always choose to obey, especially when I feel like my plan is better than what the Lord has asked me to do." I was repeating the words in my own heart. I am so grateful to be a missionary. I am being converted and strengthened as I teach and help others do the same. I am so prideful. I don't understand how I ever question the Lord and think that my ways are higher than His, but I will not do so again. I will obey. 

I was very humbled and touched this past week by the efforts of a member who has recently been very busy, less active in the church, and overburdened with many work assignments. We called him in the middle of the  week to invite him to help us teach an investigator Saturday afternoon. When teaching, he bore a powerful testimony about God's love and always being "available." In our lives, we often find ourselves surrounded by people who say they care, they want to help, and they're concerned/always there for us, but when we call, they are "too busy" or make other excuses. He testified that Heavenly Father and Christ are always "available." We must ask, and the help will come. 

Sunday night, a member called asking for a Priesthood blessing. We contacted a few members and the branch president, but everybody was busy. We called them back and explained that we didn't know what to do because there was nobody to accompany us. We said a prayer, then had the thought to call the member who had helped us yesterday. He told us he had a meeting at 7:00, but he could be late if there was somebody who needed a Priesthood blessing. His example taught me so much. He had testified the day before about Heavenly Father and Christ always being "available." This man was busy, he had other appointments, and he had other things to do, but when somebody called for help, he put the Lord first. The blessing was beautiful, the Spirit was strong, and afterwards, the member who received the blessing told us that the member there with us was somebody she remembered from church many, many years ago when she was very little. Such a tender mercy for both of them. 

I know that the Lord works in mysterious ways. I know that we can be answers to other people's prayers. I know sacrifice brings forth blessings.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

Therefore, that we should waste and wear out our lives in bringing to light all the hidden things of darkness, wherein we know them; and they are truly manifest from heaven—



This is what is asked and required of us if we truly desire and understand that we are able to obtain all of the blessings promised to us, even exaltation. I hope that I can remember and retain these things for the rest of my life. I pray that I will choose to put others before myself, make myself "available", and be there when the call comes.


Yesterday, during fast and testimony meeting, I bore simple testimony that Christ lives. I know he does. I know that Heavenly Father loves us. He does everything for us! He wants us to succeed. The most powerful, knowledgeable, and magnificent being knows me. Even though we come up short in more ways than one, we must press forward and try again, changing one step at a time. That is His plan for us. He knows us. He knows our desires.

 But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.

I am grateful to be His servant, and I am grateful for those around me that continue to help my testimony grow. He knows me. He knows you. He loves us. I love being a missionary!!!

Love, Elder Lloyd

No comments:

Post a Comment