“ … And they were also distinguished for their zeal towards God, and also towards men; for they were perfectly honest and upright in all things; and they were firm in the faith of Christ, even unto the end.” - Alma 27:27

Monday, June 27, 2016

I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY -- and KL!

Elder Lloyd's bike that has transported him hundreds of miles throughout East and West Malaysia for nearly two years
There is a reason I was transferred to Kuala Lumpur! This has been one of the best weeks of my entire mission. I have been through so many emotions and feelings that come with transferring areas and arriving in a new one, but amidst all of the excitement, the Lord's hand was clearly present throughout everything. I am so grateful for the small little miracles each day. I have never been happier! There is no time to be sad, depressed, discouraged, or confused. I am grateful to be with Elder Chin, serving in Puchong. I am so blessed! Before leaving Miri, we were blessed with incredible opportunities to bear testimony, teach repentance, and help people prepare for baptism. I am so grateful for the opportunity I had to work with Brother T, and I'm so grateful that he chose to be baptized this past weekend. I am so happy for him! His faith, his conversion, and his absolute commitment to serve the Lord and put Him first will stay with me forever. In our last lesson together, one of the recent converts, was there to bear testimony and explain the importance of holding and fulfilling a calling in the Church. Now that I'm in KL Puchong, I can understand the changes and Spirit that come when we continue to grow and keep our covenants after we are baptized. 

There are so many experiences and thoughts going through my head from the past few days. As I was on the plane to KL, I was torn. I didn't know what to expect, and I wasn't necessarily happy to leave behind what I had grown accustomed to in Miri. That is always the case with transfers. As soon as I landed and reunited with Elder Chin, [Elder who Trevor trained in Tawau 18 mos. ago] all of my uncertainty and fears vanished. This is where I'm supposed to be. As I gave him a hug, I felt the Spirit so strongly. There is much work I can do here as I serve other missionaries, members, and share the gospel.

It is such a special blessing to be serving with Elder Chin again. Our first night, we went out finding and I was so excited as he opened his mouth to talk with everybody. He had a smile on his face, and he was doing all he could to teach by the Spirit. I look up to him and hope that I can better show my love and respect. He is a great planner, he truly loves the people, and he wants to work. I'm excited for these next few weeks.

There was nothing in the area book as far as investigators go when I looked through on Thursday. From the people we talked to in the past few days, I think that all it takes is a little bit of faith, heart, and boldness. Working this weekend, we were blessed with some of the most prepared people I've met my whole mission. It is refreshing to be in an area with so many people to talk to. Even though we didn't have many "lessons" we were teaching people all day as we walked around and talked with people. I have never been more bold in my life. I have never taken so many risks. I have never loved the people so much. I have never seen this many miracles. This was one of the happiest, most grateful, joyful weekends of my whole life. Even if somebody wasn't interested, there were hundreds of others within fifty feet of us to continue talking to. What a privilege!

Elder Lloyd and Jesus Love You
Friday, after we finished with an incredible lesson, we walked outside of the chapel, said a prayer, and talked to the first person we saw -- a 22 year old Chinese atheist. Twenty minutes later, he was closing his first prayer with, "Amen." He had a Book of Mormon in his hand and tears in his eyes. It was something I've never experienced before. Not ten minutes later, we were talking with someone who had been waiting for over an hour to leave and go home after work. Somebody had pulled their car behind his so he was unable to back out. We talked a few minutes, then we said a prayer. Before I could close the prayer, we heard the sound of doors unlocking. As we opened our eyes, somebody got into the car that was blocking his and drove away. The contact threw his arms in the air and said, "That's IMPOSSIBLE!" His jaw dropped as he just sat there, almost in disbelief. I simply laughed and smiled in gratitude. I know that Heavenly Father answers our prayers. I know that miracles are possible when we trust him, have a sincere heart, and have faith in Christ.  We were able to meet with him after church on Sunday and had a fantastic lesson. I know that Heavenly Father loves us.

Throughout the weekend, we met somebody who had studied with missionaries in Australia but was lost when they were both transferred. We were helped with members who have a stronger desire to do missionary work than anybody else I've ever met. Sunday morning, we had a correlation with our Branch Mission Leader. Before church was over, he had already finished everything we asked him to do. Thursday we were driven around by a member who asked for all of the former investigators' numbers so that she could go visit them or call them on her own time. After church, most of the members were engaged or preparing to go home teaching/visiting teaching. 

This is Zion! During Sacrament meeting, my eyes were filled with tears. The Spirit was so strong, and I just felt loved. This place has everything necessary to succeed and bring more people into the fold. Now is the time for us and the members to work together! I never want to leave! I have never been so bold, so happy, so faithful, so optimistic, and so grateful. I love being a missionary. I know that the joy I felt was a part of the joy that i will feel when we meet Christ and our Heavenly Father again. I want these feelings to last forever.

35 Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has all power, all wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a merciful Being, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name.

Saturday night, I called the missionaries in JB and asked for the number of one of the people that I was able to be a part of teaching and baptizing there. He was an amazing, humble, sincere college-age man, but soon after baptism, he had to move to his hometown where there was no LDS church. He then moved to KL in order to further his studies. I've been emailing him weekly, but our communication has been very limited. He came to church Sunday and the members immediately swarmed him with greeting, love, and friendship, even though he was a complete stranger. We had an incredibly powerful lesson with him and some other young men after church.

41 And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ.

I know that when we remember our covenants and focus on the Atonement of Christ, we can feel the joy and receive the blessings that Heavenly Father has promised us. This member shared with us his desire to put God first. The members, the missionaries, and all of us will work together to help him continue on the covenant path. 

He later spent the a few hours helping us go finding and then teaching a new investigator. He did an amazing job, and we saw more miracles. There was one person on the LRT that told us they weren't interested, so Elder Chin and I moved on. The member stayed back and befriended him. As we got off the train, the contact that had earlier rejected us waved to the member and said, "See you next Sunday at church!!" Miracles! 

I know that reconnecting with this friend is one of the reasons I needed to come here. I also feel that I needed to once again serve with Elder Chin - what a blessing. I have never been so grateful. I know that Heavenly Father has a plan of salvation for each one of us. I know that He loves me so much. I know that He wants us to succeed. I have been blessed so much this past week. Multiple times during each day, Elder Chin and I were humbled to say prayers of pure gratitude and humility. We are so blessed. I have never felt the Spirit so strongly. I have never felt more engaged in the work. I know that there are many miracles lying in store! 

I know that there is never enough time to accomplish all that I want to do, and it seems like time goes by faster and faster, but I'm going to do all I can to accomplish what the Lord wants me to do in these next two weeks.

Love, Elder Lloyd

No comments:

Post a Comment