“ … And they were also distinguished for their zeal towards God, and also towards men; for they were perfectly honest and upright in all things; and they were firm in the faith of Christ, even unto the end.” - Alma 27:27

Sunday, July 3, 2016

I KNOW WHO I AM!


Good Afternoon Everybody!!!! My heart is bursting right now. I'm so grateful for so, so many things. Happy Fourth of July! I'm so grateful for the many freedoms and opportunities we have in the U.S. because of the efforts and faith of people in the past. We are so blessed. 

This past week has been indescribable. This truly has been one of the most humbling, happy, and miraculous weeks of my mission. I've learned so many things. It seems as if each day is planned perfectly by the Lord for me to experience something that will impact me forever. I'm so grateful for the privilege and opportunity I have to be His servant each and every day. Elder Chin and I have been blessed with so many miracles as we've gone out in faith, not worrying or fearing anything, and doing all we can to help build the kingdom here.

Families are Forever
I love Kuala Lumpur. It is a beautiful city with beautiful, prepared, truth-seeking people. I don't even know where to start...My first week, we literally had nobody to work with. We prayed and fasted that this past week would be filled with people who are ready to learn and willing to make changes in their lives. We were blessed with exactly what we prayed and fasted for. I know Heavenly Father loves His children, and I know the Gospel is the way for lasting happiness in our lives. 

On Saturday, after an incredibly long stretch of time without finding anybody that had real intent, I had a weird feeling in my stomach. We were in the middle of an open air mall, and Elder Chin and I decided to say one last prayer and leave. As we closed and proceeded to walk back towards the LRT (the train) and our next appointment, we encountered a single man just standing up to leave a bar. Immediately, things just clicked. He was a free thinker, soon to be married, and looking for more in his life. As we explained our purpose, bore testimony of a Heavenly Father, a Savior, and the Restoration, he said he felt the "warmth that I feel when I'm eating dinner with my family." He offered to take us anywhere we wanted, and committed to come to church the next day. He came! He came dressed in a white shirt, and we were able to teach him how to tie his tie. All of the members welcomed him and swarmed around him as he introduced himself. During the testimony meeting, the Spirit was so strong, and it lasted over 1.5 hours because everybody wanted a chance to share. It was absolutely perfect. We truly were one big family.

Minutes after contacting this man, we ran into an Indian woman who has been looking for a church to join and has tried to stop us multiple times, but never got the chance. Miracles! I know that Heavenly Father has a plan for us. We receive no witness until after the trial of our faith. As we press forward in diligence and hope, He always blesses us.

One of the most tender moments of the week was Thursday afternoon and evening. We had a few lessons scheduled with a couple of new investigators and then a recent convert. One of the most active members in the branch, accompanied us for two of them. We call her mama because she always looks out for us and everybody we teach. As we taught one of our investigators the Restoration, she was able to bear an incredible testimony and witness of the power of prayer. She invited him to church. She invited him to pray. 

Later on, as we taught a recent convert, he told us that he would be unable to attend church this Sunday because of the holidays. After we spoke more about the covenants we made at baptism, she shared a story from the Liahona magazine about always putting the Lord first, choosing to act instead of being acted upon, and made a plan for him to take a bus somewhere else and go to church in another branch so that everything would work out. 

I am grateful for members and other missionaries with strong testimonies of obedience and keeping covenants. My faith was strengthened as I felt her sincerity and conviction of obeying what the Lord has asked us to do. I hope that I can continue to grow like she has! I truly have a desire to always honor the covenants I've made, and I can say with surety that I feel joy and peace when I keep the commandments.

Throughout the week, we were blessed with miraculous, fantastic, joyful contacts in all situations. No matter where we went, no matter what time it was, and no matter what we had planned next, we seemed to encounter prepared people. It was so humbling and so freeing to approach people with confidence, knowing that the Lord would place people in our path. 

One day, we sat down next to a 20 year old Chinese man on the LRT. After getting to know him, bearing testimony, and inviting him to learn, he simply asked, "Why me?" We met with him later this week, and he excitedly accepted a baptismal date and has read 20 chapters of the Book of Mormon. 

I know that Heavenly Father has allowed me to meet incredible people and be involved in their conversion not because of my skills, the things I've done in the past, or for any other reason other than the things that I still need to learn. I feel like whenever I meet someone that truly treasures and wants the gospel, my testimony is strengthened. I am learning so much from these people. The gospel is everything to them. It brings so much light into their life the instant that they decide to turn to God and reach out to him. I pray that I can always retain these things in my heart and humble myself before the Lord. I am so blessed. 

10 And again, verily I say unto you that it is your privilege, and a promise I give unto you that have been ordained unto this ministry, that inasmuch as you strip yourselves from jealousies and fears, and humble yourselves before me, for ye are not sufficiently humble, the veil shall be rent and you shall see me and know that I am—not with the carnal neither natural mind, but with the spiritual.

I have seen the Lord this past week with spiritual eyes. We were blessed with so many new investigators, so many spiritual experiences, incredible studies, and referrals from multiple members. I do not understand why the Lord pours out blessings when He does, but I'm grateful to have been able to feel His love and see His hand this past week. Every single day was remarkable. I love being a missionary.

One of the investigators who has only received one lesson stood up in Sacrament meeting yesterday and bore his testimony of the Book of Mormon in front of everybody. He talked about how he used to blame God for everything, to the point where he decided not to believe anymore. He talked of anger and fear that surrounded his heart. He then bore testimony that as he read the first few chapters of the Book of Mormon, he realized he should thank Heavenly Father for all that he has blessed him with. 

I know that the word of God truly can change our hearts when we sincerely read, pray, and obey the promptings the are given to us. It was so humbling to hear this testimony of somebody so new in the gospel. I know that we all have a testimony. No matter how weak, or how strong, we must continue to share it with others in order to let it grow. We must "experiment on the word" and respond to the invitations that we receive. 

I'm grateful for Elder Chin. As we taught an atheist last week with another member preparing for a mission, the Spirit was so strong. Eventually, after many tears of joy and love were shed, we invited the investigator to pray, read, and obey. He simply shook his head no. He still had the tear stains on his cheeks from just moments before as we had born testimony of a loving God and a plan that has been restored.  Elder Chin's testimony and words, "We invite you..." pierced my soul. That is our responsibility. We are here to bear testimony, allow the Spirit to testify, and invite them to act. 

 6 Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come.

I know my Savior lives. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I will give all I have to him each and every day. I know there are many more amazing experiences and miracles in store this week.

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Love, Elder Lloyd


















No comments:

Post a Comment