“ … And they were also distinguished for their zeal towards God, and also towards men; for they were perfectly honest and upright in all things; and they were firm in the faith of Christ, even unto the end.” - Alma 27:27

Monday, December 22, 2014

MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM MALAYSIA!

Merry Christmas everybody!!!! What an amazing week I've had, and what an incredible week these next few days will be. Soooo many new things and exciting events are happening. I'm so grateful to be a missionary, and I'm most grateful for my Savior, Jesus Christ. I am so grateful for this Christmas season and the joy that I've felt as we've sung Christmas hymns, talked to people, and worshipped Christ. I love Tawau and I love the people here!!!!!!!!!!!

So, this week was crazy!!!! Tuesday night we went caroling all over Tawau and a few neighboring cities in a bus with all of the youth in the branch – a record 20! We visited some very humble homes and some very loving people. It was so touching to see how grateful they were that we would make the trip just to sing them a few songs. Their smiles of gratitude made it all worth it. As a missionary, I'm truly starting to appreciate just how much joy making others happy can bring to myself. I wish I would've taken advantage of more service opportunities and small acts of service back home before the mission, because making a positive difference in someone else's life is something that is truly lasting and eternal. We got back from caroling very late, and then I helped Elder W and R pack because they got transferred. I'll miss those guys a lot, but ... I've got a new companion!!!!

Wednesday morning I flew to Singapore. After a day of travel, we had some training at night, and then Thursday morning we had a testimony meeting and we found out who our new companions are. Mine is Elder C!   He's awesome, and I'm so excited to serve with him in Tawau!!!

Because Tawau is so far from Singapore, we had to stay in Singapore all day Thursday. I got to go on splits with another missionary, and what an amazing learning experience it was!!! Singapore is amazing!!!! It is so beautiful and impressive in an urban, modern type of way -- completely different from East Malaysia.  I literally talked to everyone in my path. Three people described to me how they're free thinkers and believe in humans more than God. We had another man show us a million books trying to prove us wrong as he talked about Galileo and all this science stuff -- it was just so different! It was so cool to have the opportunity to contact and try and help people. 

One thing that I gained a testimony of is that this gospel does help everyone. Absolutely everyone on this planet would benefit from this message, no matter what they're going through. I know that the Spirit is something that not even the smartest people in the world can understand if they're not willing to open up their hearts. This message is completely unique and special to each one of us. I'm so grateful for the peace and knowledge that I have. I have seen, firsthand, the way that life could be if we didn’t have this gospel, and it is not something that I would ever desire. I know this gospel is for our benefit, and we truly are blessed as we obey the commandments and follow the teachings of Christ. 
 
One of the most amazing things this week was our Christmas party on Saturday!!!! We had over 100 people there! It was a miracle!! People I'd never seen made an effort to come! Right in the middle of the party, our electrical box blew up and we lost all power. Brother H called a friend and fixed the problem so that our party could continue and we could have church the next day. He is absolutely amazing. I truly feel like I am learning more from these people than I'm teaching them! I'm so grateful for this branch and for Tawau! I was able to be Santa Claus at the party, and all of the little kids were just so excited and happy. It was the best feeling in the world to take pictures with them and make them smile. 

I know that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love us more than we could ever imagine. I know that the best gift we could ever give in return is the gift of obedience and love. I would invite you all to make a conscious effort to be more loving this Christmas season. Make a list of specific things you can change in order to show love for others as you go into this new year.

I love you so much!!!! Merry Christmas!!!!! I love being a missionary, and I love being a part of God's work. I am so grateful for all of you and the support you give me each day. I would not be here if it wasn't for all of you!!! Thank you for your examples and prayers! I pray that I am able to share something that inspires you to feel the Spirit and joy. Merry Christmas from Malaysia!!! Zai Jian!






No comments:

Post a Comment