“ … And they were also distinguished for their zeal towards God, and also towards men; for they were perfectly honest and upright in all things; and they were firm in the faith of Christ, even unto the end.” - Alma 27:27

Monday, January 26, 2015

IMPROVE THE SHINING MOMENTS

I love you all so much!!! Each and every single day, I realize just how amazing my life has been. I have experienced many things and have been a part of some incredible opportunities, but most of all, I am grateful for the people who have helped me be where I am today. There are infinite acts of kindness that have impacted me and I remember them often while serving. The mission really is a sacred time to maximize feelings of gratitude. Thank you all for supporting me in all that I do. I would not be here without any of you!

The first thing I'd like to share is something that I've never been good at, but it has helped me find much more joy as a missionary, even when things are seemingly "good enough." These verses of Improve the Shining Moments capture many of my thoughts:

Improve the shining moments;
Don't let them pass you by.
Work while the sun is radiant;
Work, for the night draws nigh.
We cannot bid the sunbeams
To lengthen out their stay,
Nor can we ask the shadow
To ever stay away.
2. Time flies on wings of lightning;
We cannot call it back.
It comes, then passes forward
Along its onward track.
And if we are not mindful,
The chance will fade away,
For life is quick in passing.
'Tis as a single day.

We are commanded in the scriptures to never procrastinate the day of our repentance, but I'd like to think that we shouldn't procrastinate the day of our ENJOYMENT either. I am definitely a victim of rarely allowing myself to truly enjoy the times of happiness that Heavenly Father blesses us with. I know that as we look towards our Savior, work our hardest, and pray for strength, we will be given times of pure joy. When those times come, ENJOY THEM!!!

We don't need to continuously focus on worrying about the future, the past, and all that we need to change in ourselves. I know that as we recognize the good things in life, we will become more humble and willing to follow the Holy Ghost in order to experience all that Heavenly Father has promised us. 

This week, while meeting with someone who was facing many trials, I realized that sometimes life seems to cloak us with seemingly endless problems and concerns, but if we are humble and listen with our hearts, we can be the angels that help others find that joy again.

There is an article in the Ensign this month called “Fireflies" and it talks about looking past the small things in life so that we can focus on what truly matters-eternal life. Those promised blessings can seem so far away right now, kind of like the small specks like stars are at night, but as we grow closer, their light and glory grows to something we can't even begin to comprehend. I know that this gospel is worth it! I know that nothing is worth sacrificing our testimony or love for our Savior and the Atonement for. (https://www.lds.org/ensign/2015/01/fireflies?lang=eng)

I love this gospel!!!

One of the coolest experiences of my mission happened this week as I was again taught by the Spirit and some amazing people, that we must have empathy and that each of us struggles with something. As I shared Enos 1:26-27 with them, we all started crying together as we felt the Spirit and our Savior's love for us:

26 And I saw that I must soon go down to my grave, having been wrought upon by the power of God that I must preach and prophesy unto this people, and declare the word according to the truth which is in Christ. And I have declared it in all my days, and have rejoiced in it above that of the world.

 27 And I soon go to the place of my rest, which is with my Redeemer; for I know that in him I shall rest. And I rejoice in the day when my mortal shall put on immortality, and shall stand before him; then shall I see his face with pleasure, and he will say unto me: Come unto me, ye blessed, there is a place prepared for you in the mansions of my Father. Amen.

As I said earlier, I know that this gospel is worth it. We are worth it. What we are called to do is worth it. Our Savior died for each one of us, so that we didn't have to experience these feelings of desperation forever. I know that life is hard, we are asked to do a lot, and it can feel endless, but I also know that our Heavenly Father has a plan for each one of us. I know that feeling of being able to stand blameless before God at the last day will be the most peaceful, joyful feeling we could ever imagine.

I am so grateful for this opportunity to serve a mission and mourn with those that mourn so that I can recognize the weaknesses in myself while also learning what Christ's Atonement truly encompasses. I love this gospel and I love my mission! I am so grateful for the miracles that happen each day, and I am grateful for the chance I have to change!

Thank you for your prayers and 
support! I love you all. Please know that I am doing my best and desire to help you all grow closer to Christ.


Love, Elder Lloyd 

No comments:

Post a Comment