“ … And they were also distinguished for their zeal towards God, and also towards men; for they were perfectly honest and upright in all things; and they were firm in the faith of Christ, even unto the end.” - Alma 27:27

Monday, November 23, 2015

BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD

Good Morning Everybody!!! What an amazing last week...so much has changed! I cannot believe that last Monday, I was in a completely different place, and pondering about completely different people and situations as I emailed you all. Despite all of the change, I am grateful for this next opportunity to grow and to serve the Lord in Bintulu. I deeply miss the people and city of JB, but I know that the Lord has called me to serve here with Elder C. 

One of the coolest experiences that increased my faith last week came on Friday. We had been finding pretty much all day Wednesday and Thursday, in addition to Friday afternoon. After English class, we desired to find more potentials in the remaining hours of our workday. We faithfully prayed, entered a mall, and started to talk with everybody. We were guided to a group of teenagers, then to an older couple, and continued to have spiritual conversations with people.

When we returned home, we received contact information from the last seven people we spoke with. I know that our mission is not about numbers, but it has inspired me to realize what happens when we truly turn the work over to the Lord. When we set high goals, then do our best, Heavenly Father heightens our capacity/strength and blesses us with many people to converse with. There are miracles, or divine manifestation, of Christ's love every single day. I am grateful for the many experiences that I have been blessed with as a missionary here.

I love working with my new companion, Elder C. He is an incredibly mature, prepared missionary, even though he has only been out 12 weeks. He has many admirable traits, but the thing I love most is how bold he is as he bears his testimony. We encounter people every single day that tell us that, "It's all the same. There's no need to change..." Elder C boldly bears testimony and helps them feel his love as he follows what the Spirit prompts him to say. I have felt the Spirit many times while contacting with him, and it boosts me to talk with more and more people rather than wearing me out. I love talking to people! I love sharing the gospel! I love Elder C!

The member group here is very small, but they are strong. I have had a chance to meet with all of the members and they have a very strong foundation. Every member has a strong testimony of Jesus Christ and the Restoration. 

While visiting the branch leader, we talked about the needs of the group, and he invited some of his neighbors over, along with extended family, so that he could introduce us to them. I am so humbled by the amazing members all over the world. He and his family are busy with thousands of things, yet they still make time for missionary work and the things the Lord has asked him to do. I hope I can continue to work with him and emulate his example throughout my life.

During Sacrament, I was asked to speak, and I was able to read the hymn, "Have I Done Any Good"

Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone's burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?
[Chorus]
Then wake up and do something more
Than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,
A blessing of duty and love.

I know that as we pray for opportunities to serve others, we will forget our worries, cares, and stresses. We will realize that Heavenly Father has many things in store for us, and there will always be purpose and direction in our lives. I am so excited to serve here. I know that there will be many miracles and positive change as we focus on the Lord, His children, and exercise our faith. 

As I face these new challenges, this scripture has truly comforted me and brought peace to my heart.

16 Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God.

As I stopped for an extra minute to pray, to notice the beauty around me, and to listen to the Spirit, I felt comforted and loved. I know that Heavenly Father loves me. I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior. I know that this is his work, and I am privileged to be a part of it. I love being a missionary!!!!

If we want increased faith, such as Enoch gained, we must GIVE OURSELVES OVER COMPLETELY TO OUR LORD, UTTERLY TRUSTING HIM AND STRIVING TO ACT AS HE WOULD ACT IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES. No matter how difficult and impossible the circumstances we face, we must retain the attitude that we are still in the Lord’s debt ... if we place any condition on our willingness to serve the Lord with all our hearts, we diminish our faith. If we have complete trust in Him, our faith will increase. 

As we do our best, placing no restrictions or conditions on what can happen, we will notice the Spirit more in our lives. I love you all!!! Have a wonderful week!

LOVE, ELDER LLOYD

No comments:

Post a Comment