“ … And they were also distinguished for their zeal towards God, and also towards men; for they were perfectly honest and upright in all things; and they were firm in the faith of Christ, even unto the end.” - Alma 27:27

Monday, November 30, 2015

CONNECTING WITH OTHERS

Good Morning Everybody! Firstly, Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Anniversary to my parents!!!! I love you two so much!

Here in Bintulu, I am learning line upon line, precept upon precept, about how I can do my part, help others, and do as the Savior would do. We were blessed with many learning experiences and miracles last week. I am so grateful for the amazing people all around us. Most of all, I am grateful for the simple truths the gospel teaches us. I am grateful that I don't have to doubt certain things, and I am grateful to know why I am here on Earth. I know that I have a lot of work to do, but I find joy in working everyday to become more like the Savior.

One of the highlights last week was going on exchanges with Elder S. He is a fireball, and it was incredible to work with him and understand more about how we can bring the Spirit into every contact. It was pouring rain, and one of our extra bikes was broken, so we were on foot the whole day. For the next five hours, we literally didn't go farther than a 200 yard radius from our house, yet we were constantly talking to people and teaching them the gospel. We prayed with many, and we felt the Spirit together. 

I used to worry about how to fill an empty afternoon or effectively contact people, but all we did was look for people, talk to them, and love them. We connected with them, then we invited them to learn and consider something that has brought joy into our lives. 

Some of the things that we did together were carried into many other parts of missionary work during the week. As I really focused on connecting with people, I realized just how important it is to have a relationship with everybody. Missionaries, investigators, members -- every single person needs to feel loved, important, and cared for. 

We met with one of our very recent converts and talked to him about how he felt the church has helped him change. We talked about his questions, concerns, joys, and we talked like we were best friends. At the end, he told us how he had been praying for someone to share the gospel with, and now he was ready to tell us who it was. I know that The gospel of Jesus Christ is about helping all of God's family return back to Him together. As we love each other and put forth the effort, relying on the Spirit, we will be blessed with miracles and many uplifting experiences.

Another miracle occurred on Sunday during Sacrament meeting. One of our investigators that has never been to church before came for the first time. She brought her two kids and as the Sacrament meeting ended, she broke down in tears as the closing prayer was spoken. She had never felt so loved and so touched. We went upstairs for Gospel Principles, and she bore her testimony of the special spirit in our church meeting and expressed her gratitude for each one of us. I know that she felt the Spirit because these things are true and because the members/missionaries here welcomed her. There are amazing people searching for the gospel everywhere; we just need to have the patience, love, and Spirit to connect with them and share Christ's message. We must sincerely love them.

There were many other amazing things that happened last week, but overall, the biggest lesson I have learned is that we need to connect with people. We need to understand each other. We need to communicate with each other. We need to gain each others' trust, and only then are we able to truly teach according with the Spirit. I know that as I focus on preparing in the mornings, being diligent and obedient, and giving all of my attention and time to the people here there will be true conversion. I am so grateful to serve here  -- I love this place, and I know the things I'm learning here could not be learned in any other way. 

I am grateful for the Savior and his Atonement. I know that the things that I am doing are helping me to become something much greater because of His sacrifice for me. I love you all!! Happy December and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Love, Elder Lloyd















No comments:

Post a Comment