“ … And they were also distinguished for their zeal towards God, and also towards men; for they were perfectly honest and upright in all things; and they were firm in the faith of Christ, even unto the end.” - Alma 27:27

Thursday, April 2, 2015

SPIRITUALLY UPLIFTING!




This past week was one of the most spiritually uplifting of my whole mission. So many miracles have happened and I have just been absolutely humbled in so many ways. I know that Heavenly Father is there for us, and I know that this is His work. We are absolutely nothing without Him!!!

One of the most wonderful and scary things last week was having the opportunity to give my first baptismal interview. We bussed down to Ipoh and interviewed a man that the Ipoh district leader and his companion had been teaching. He was super shy, and he didn't speak any English!!!! I had somebody from the branch translate for me, and what a special experience that was. Even amidst the shyness and the translation, I could feel his desire to be an example for his family and follow Christ. It was so inspiring to hear about how he had changed and the faith and hope that he has that he will continue to change his love in order to be more in harmony with the teachings of Christ. 

Think of those feelings/times in life where you have felt God's presence and consider what you need to do to continue having that Spirit. I know that as you think of this you will strengthen your testimony and receive an answer!

Another amazing thing happened last Tuesday. While we were eating lunch outside we finished in about twenty minutes and had planned to go to district meeting after. Elder Jones was getting ready to go, and I asked him to wait and relax a little bit while I reviewed some words from language study. A few minutes later, a man heard us talking and asked if he could sit with us. He immediately asked us if we were from Salt Lake City and we responded with a resounding, "YES!" For the next 20 minutes we answered his questions about missionaries and shared our testimonies with him about our Savior and the restored gospel. We are meeting with him again this week, and I know that the Lord placed him in our path. 

To add to that, during district meeting we talked about the importance of prayer and letting Heavenly Father know EXACTLY what we need and what our plans our. Later that day, during some finding time, we said a prayer to find one person on this street that was ready to listen to us. The next house we knocked was a huge mansion, and we assumed the man wouldn't have time or would tell his maid to wave us off. But he came outside, invited us inside, and immediately started asking us questions. He had seen us many times and had already developed a great interest in why we would come to Malaysia. He invited us back and asked us to teach him more about why we believe in God. Miracles!! The next four houses we knocked all were willing to listen and invited us back. I don't understand why good things happen at certain times, and why bad things happen during others, but I know that Heavenly Father does answer our prayers. I know that he hears us and wants to bless us. He has a plan for each one of us, and that is what has given me peace and confidence as I share this message with others.

Amid many other miracles this week, after we were teaching a less active family and one of their non-member daughters, we were preparing to leave. They all seemed rather tired, so we had ended the lesson quickly and I wasn't feeling very confident about it. The shy, non-member daughter just tapped my shoulder and said, "Can you help me with something?" Of course, I said, "ke yi! Can!" and then waited while she went to get something. She came back with english and math homework. I was feeling pretty confident and excited for an opportunity to help her and share some of my skills, then she brought out all these derivative and integration problems that I hadn't done in two years. I sat there and had no idea what to say because I didn't know the Chinese and I didn't even remember how to do it in the first place. I said a prayer and tried one to find that somehow things just came back to me as a worked through the problem. Within a few minutes I was somehow able to share something that clicked with her, and she was able to finish her homework. 

I know that there was no way I could've done that on my own, and I know that Heavenly Father also gave me that experience to humble me. Even when I think I know something or have a good understanding, it can all be taken away in an instant if we don't rely on the Lord and recognize the importance of faith.

I'm so grateful for the prayers and letters from all of you! Thank you for your love and support. keep working hard and I know that Heavenly Father will bless you! Have a wonderful week!!!

Love, Elder Lloyd

No comments:

Post a Comment